Saturday, July 27, 2013

It's Not Start-Up Fatigue, It's Distraction Fatigue






I know the definition – “Failing to begin the task at hand.” But honestly, I don’t think I’m suffering from “Start-up Fatigue” every time I sit down to write and find myself immersed in something else. It’s a new phenomenon –“Distraction Fatigue.” And I blame all those cute icons on my computer screen. 

Inevitably I have to check my email. And those messages all have tentacles. I can spend a full hour just dealing with someone’s lost dog or the selection of a restaurant that all of my friends can agree on for breakfast tomorrow. 

“Not Paradise again. We were just there.”

“What about the Corner Bakery?” 

“Too far. Nick’s Dinner?”

“Just ate there yesterday.”

“Archies?”

“Someone said they closed.”

“No, they just moved.”

“Where?”

“Somewhere on Reems Road.”

“That’s eight miles long. What about Paradise?”

And so it goes. Then there’s my banking. I absolutely cannot concentrate until I know for certain that no one has hacked into my paltry accounts to rob me of tomorrow’s breakfast money. So I wind up checking those. Another half hour…

Then there’s this bizarre thing I do to earn rewards from my health insurance company. I get to log on and tell them all the exercise I did the day before. If I’m lucky, I remember. If not, I just write “Vacuum and dust.” Hey, someone has to do that. 

And just as I feel poised and ready to start writing, I remember Facebook. And I scroll. And I scroll. And eventually I wind up making comments and pushing those LIKE buttons. Another half hour…

Pinterest is easier. I have no idea what I’m doing. Seriously. I cannot even add to the boards I have. I wind up re-learning, getting frustrated and posting something weird to promote my novels. 

Suddenly I remember my Time Travel Mysteries Fan Page and I race off to make a post that will either be engaging, or immediately ignored. Anyone’s guess. 

Finally, I’m ready to write. But by now, I am fatigued. The good news is that I’ve figured out a cure. I just need to find an old word processor that has no internet capability. Then I might have a fighting chance to get my next novel penned.















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!