Thursday, December 20, 2012

Do I Really Need a Promo Pic?






I’ll be honest. I do not photograph well. That’s an understatement. It doesn’t matter who’s behind the camera lens, if I’m the subject, the picture is doomed. So what do I do when agencies, libraries and other media request a copy of my picture for publicity?  And what about that picture for the back cover or interior of my latest novel?

Some of my writer friends have professional photographers do their “shots,” and they look marvelous. Especially when the picture is taken so that the head is turned to the back for that “come hither look.” If I did that, it would just be an advertisement for a chiropractic office. We can fix your pain in minutes. Besides, the camera will add at least 10 pounds and I think the flash adds another 25. I did have my husband take a few full facial shots of me but I wound up looking like part of the lineup at the local women’s prison.

“I don’t believe it, Ann,” he said. “The convicted felons in their orange jumpsuits look like supermodels compared to these pictures!”

“Try taking the picture at a distance!” 

“It’ll take too long for me to walk that far!”

Then I tried having my picture taken with my pets. That was a bit better. My 16 pound cat was large enough to hide my double chin when I held him next to my face. I liked that picture so much that I used it on the author page for two of my novels. I’m thinking of incorporating a few more cats to cover the rest of me. 

Then, there’s my smile. It bears an uncanny resemblance to the clown face from the old Coney Island Steeplechase Amusement Park. But if I don’t smile, I look like the housekeeper from Daphne du Maurier’s Gothic novel, Rebecca.

I’ve thought of doing one of those cutesy things, like using a logo of a butterfly or perhaps some sort of caricature instead of submitting my photo. But when you’re invited to speak at an event, they want your actual mug shot. Apparently, the audience needs to be warned ahead of time.  

I envy those marvelous writers who were born before the camera was invented. All they had to worry about was the printed word. So, I’m up for ideas – please send them.  I’m willing to pose behind large ferns, use a fan to cover most of my face, and anything in-between.

All ideas are welcome!

1 comment:

  1. Ann, I can totally relate! My cat won't help though, she hates to be held. I took my professional photo while on vacation, I was having the best time and looked amazing (unlike I normally look!!) I had just the right amount of color in my cheeks and a big "on top of the world" grin on my face...I was on a Sedona jeep tour and the pic was snapped by our tour guide. hey if it doesn't work out, at least you got a vacation out of it!
    http://www.dailyrandomreminders.com/beth_half.jpg

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!