Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Tremendous Tucson Festival of Books !








                Nothing could have prepared me for the magnitude and scope of this event. It took up most of the campus of the University of Arizona in Tucson and drew a crowd between 120,000 – 150,000 thousand people!

            The best part was that the attendees were readers, intent upon meeting authors and attending their workshops and presentations. I was torn between signing books at my publisher’s booth (Two Cats Press) and attending some of the incredible programs. 

            Highlights for me included chatting with R.L. Stine (I lucked out because he happened to be standing next to our booth), watching Lois Lowry mesmerize a crowed of middle schoolers, and nearly accosting C.J. Box because I needed him to sign books from the neighbor ladies on my street!  (You were right ladies – he was adorable! Not to mention extremely sweet and gregarious). 

            One of R.L. Stine’s illustrators, Trip Park, was my former student back in Ithaca, NY. R.L. Stine enjoyed hearing about Trip’s talent way back then. 

            Authors Margi Evans, Gale Leach and Beth Cornell shared the Two Cats Press booth and tantalized readers with tales from our writing, suggestions for meditation ( Beth ) and non-stop chit-chat.

            The most challenging part of the experience was dealing with the heat and high winds on Saturday but attendees were undaunted and we were really energized. I’m making plans to attend next year!!!

PHOTOS:  The handsome dude in the black Stetson is C.J. Box.  The grey haired lady signing books is Lois Lowry. The other grey haired lady talking with a reader is Margi Evans. Other photos include my husband, James Clapp, in our booth, and me with a wonderful reader.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!