Sunday, September 29, 2013

Scariest Thought Ever - Writing My Next Novel By Hand





 
I just finished reading M.J. Rose’s novel, Seduction, and I’m still in shock. Not about the novel, mind you, the novel was wonderful. I’m in shock because she wrote it by hand. That’s right – handwritten! And I can’t even manage a grocery list! 

According to the author, she hand wrote the book in order to get a better “feel” and “understanding” of its central character, 19th century author Victor Hugo. Yikkees! If I had to do that, I’d be forced to use a stylus for The Last Tag, my novel about Ancient Rome and a quill for the one I’m writing about 13th century Scotland. 

I give M.J. Rose credit. She must have an astonishing amount of patience and a flawless command of script. Nothing I write by hand is flawless. I consider myself fortunate if someone can actually decipher it. 

I’ve given up on grocery lists. I can’t even read my own writing; so when my husband comes back from the store with items that we’ve never used or foods that I wouldn’t even feed the cats, I can hardly blame him.

“It says right here – spam!”

“Since when do we eat spam? Give me that list! Look – it says spaghetti; I just crammed all the letters together!”

I once saw an advertisement for a pre-written yellow post-it pad with the grocery list already on it. All I needed to do was put a check mark next to the item. Unfortunately, I forgot to put it on my list!

When I’m writing, I don’t really feel the need to experience anyone else’s pain. I’ve got enough of my own. So I’m thankful that I have a decent computer and Office 2010. I was tortured enough in the 70’s when I had to use a typewriter and enough “white-out” to make Tom Sawyer happy. 

M.J. Rose, you are indeed a heroine. I just hope you don’t start writing about the Stone Age or it will take you a very long time!

P.S.  Readers – Check out her novels!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!