Saturday, March 16, 2013

Sometimes You've Got to Pound the Pavement







            The Fuller Brush guys did it. And so did the Avon ladies. Then things changed. The internet took over and suddenly sales were all online. Don’t get me wrong. I love the internet and I thrill every time someone purchases one of my books from Amazon, Barnes & Noble or Kindle.  But when you’re an indie author like me, you still want to see your titles in those brick and mortar stores. So… what’s left but hitting the pavement! Unless of course you have your own publicist who is getting paid to wear out the soles on his or her shoes!
            I have myself. And thankfully my husband, who’s willing to tag along especially if there are good restaurants along the way. Today’s venture took us to Cave Creek, Arizona; and I’m thrilled that  a neat little gift shop, Jose Antonios’ Custom Framing & Gifts, adjacent to the Horny Toad Restaurant, was willing to take a chance on one of my novels.
            Armed with my Kirkus Review, custom bookmarks and business cards, I scoured gift shops like hounds going after the fox. But the best part was getting to meet store owners and managers who were all trying to make it in this tough economy. So when one of them agreed to take on “Time Travel Mysteries,” you can understand how ecstatic I was.
            And frankly, nothing beats the opportunity than to present your own work to someone. After all, no one is going to be as well versed or enthusiastic about your writing. (Although one of my cats absolutely adores my books – for entertaining herself by chewing the edges and leaving bite marks all over). Nonetheless, there’s so much to be gained by meeting face to face with prospective clients.
            So until my name becomes as recognizable as Nora Roberts or E.L.James, I’ll be pounding the pavement!  And thank goodness the food was great at The Horny Toad!   
                       

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!