Saturday, January 12, 2013

Getting Stuck in the Muck





Maybe it has something to do with odd and even numbers. Who knows. But whatever it is, it’s driving me crazy with my latest novel, novel # 6. Writing this novel is like getting wagon wheels stuck in the muck; and just when you think you’ve managed to pull or prod your way out, they go slip-sliding again.

It’s a number thing. I swear. My first novel glided smoothly with each computer keystroke, and I was energized and optimistic. Then came novel #2. With its twists and turns I stayed awake at night trying to piece together the puzzle I had created. It drove me nuts! Then, novel #3, a fast paced race to the finish line that moved quicker than Apolo Anton Ohno on ice. Once again, I could sleep at night.

Then, novel #4 tied up my stomach in knots for weeks. My characters argued in my head and two converging plot lines drove me to the brink. It was insanity. Then, joyous respite with novel #5. It bolted onto the keyboard with a speed and intensity I’d never seen. Thankfully I could sleep without tossing and turning.

And now…novel #6. Juxtaposed timelines. Unstable characters. And to make matters worse, a new element for my seasoned protagonists. This novel is giving me aggravation like none other. And sleep will just have to wait a while. But there’s hope. 

It’s the numbers. Odd numbers = smooth sailing, even numbers = storms, shipwrecks and sea sickness. Or so it would seem. Maybe I’m the only author who is plagued by this numerical phenomena but one thing for sure – the ride is never dull.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!