Saturday, September 22, 2012

How Can I Get Anything Done With Cat Hair All Over My Keyboard?






Don’t get me wrong. I love my pets. So much in fact that my combined grocery and health care bills pale when compared to theirs. But I have to draw the line someplace and that battleground has become my computer room. 

One of my cats thinks that the D-Link to the WIFI was designed just to keep her warm. If I’m not careful, I will find her sleeping on that little box and probably cutting off all the air it needs in order to run. 

My other cat has decided that un-plugging the wires to the computer by sinking her teeth into them is a new form of entertainment. 

And then, there’s the dog. The dog can’t really get to the computer, but he knows how to chase the cats down the hallway so that they race into the room, jump on the desk, and inevitably knock the freestanding keyboard to the ground where the dog now has a new chew toy. 

Needless to say, I turned to Google to find out how to keep the cats away from the computer. Did you know that there are at least 50 articles claiming to solve this conundrum? Sure, if you don’t mind putting sticky tape all over your desk. Just remember not to lean your elbows on anything. Or perhaps you can build the DIY tech protector. Only trouble is, I’m not very good with a drill and I’ve never used a router! Then, there’s the motion detector that makes loud puffs of air when the cat goes near the computer. Terrific. What happens when I go near it?

And the list goes on. The dog, at least, understands the word “NO.” The cats understand that “NO” only applies to the dog. So, faced with the possibility of losing all my writing drafts, I finally solved the problem. 

There’s a simple and easy solution and I honestly don’t know why it took me so long to figure out. Every room in the house comes equipped with one. And operating it is easy. It just involves turning a knob. Yep, you’ve got it! From now on, I’m closing the door to the room!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!