Sunday, August 25, 2013

Oh no! Not Another Software Program for Word Processing!









I cut my teeth on WORD 97 and parting with it was like tearing off my fingernails. But ten years later I finally caved and jumped into OFFICE 2010. It was like leaving the trolley car and boarding a rocket. I cried. I cursed. I bemoaned myself for ever letting my cousin talk me into this, but four novels later, I had forged a decent relationship with my word processing tool. 

Then, I saw author Gale Leach’s blog on a new software program called “Scrivener.” Apparently it does everything except the laundry. (But give it time). Using words like “navigate,” “restructure,” “switch,” “edit,” “research,” this program apparently replaces all of those sticky notes that I have pasted to my desk and wall. Not to mention the piles of computer paper that bear legitimate notes and references. Sounds good, huh?

But I foresee downsides immediately. The cats will hate it. They won’t have anything to chew up or shred when I’m not in the room. And I won’t be able to impress my guests with the multitude of work I’m doing when they see a clean desk! But worst of all is the fact that I’ll have to start all over again learning a new program. And believe me, I’m a slow learner. 

Hey, I just congratulated myself last week for figuring out how to do footers and headers! And I still can’t get the margin thing straight. Moving to “Scrivener” would be akin to taking the controls over for a 747 when I can’t even fly a Cessna! I’ve got to be honest. Lots of screen “stuff” scares me. I loved “Word Perfect” back when the dinosaurs roamed. It had a black screen and the only thing you saw were the words you wrote. That was it. “Scrivener” looks as if it’s the multi-plex for on-screen viewing. 

Don’t get me wrong. I haven’t dismissed the idea entirely. I just put it “on hold.”  If I have time in 2025, I’ll take another look. Unless of course they come out with a software program that also operates the microwave. I’m listening, Gale…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!