Sunday, March 31, 2013

Waiting, Waiting, Waiting...For The Reviews To Come In








Yeah, I’m familiar with the old adage “Be careful what you wish for,” but when it comes to book reviews for my novels, I’m like a kid in a candy shop. I just can’t wait to see what people have written, even though it may not be what I’d hoped for.

 This past month, I’ve given away a few free books on “Goodreads.” So, every day without fail I rush to my email hoping that one of the recipients has posted a review. No news yet. But I’m thinking any day now. 

Reviews are the lifeblood for authors. With so many print and digital options out there for readers, reviews serve as the unofficial seal of approval before choosing the next title for perusal. Granted, everyone’s taste in reading is different, but still, it’s nice to have some sort of reference. And reviews are not advertisements. They are the frank, honest reactions that readers have to the book. (At least they should be). 

And readers’ voices matter. Just like consumers’ voices do when you finally decide to purchase an appliance or a car. (We bought our last car because one of my aunts absolutely raved about it. We found out later that she loved the car because the driver seat was big and the cup holders for her coffee were adjustable). And then there was the termite company. Out west, you need a termite company. Those subterranean critters can invade a castle in a matter of days. We were smarter this time. We talked to the neighbors up and down our block before signing a contract with a local exterminating company. Reviews matter!

So if you’re an avid reader or a once in a while reader, it doesn’t matter. Please post a review. You can join Amazon, Goodreads, or Manic Reader. All of them are just waiting to hear from you. And honestly, so am I!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!