Sunday, March 10, 2013

"Oh, The Places You'll Go"





 



It never fails. Every time I send a draft of my latest novel to my editors, my mind begins to spin with cloudy images of the next one I’ll write. And that familiar refrain from Dr. Seuss’ memorable children’s book keeps playing in my mind. “Oh, The Places You’ll Go.”

            That’s the beauty of writing time travel mysteries. I can go anywhere and everywhere I want, taking daring adventures every time I click something on my keyboard. Let’s face it, daily life isn’t exactly that adventurous, so I need imagination to fill in the rest. Or do I?

            In the past week, this was the closest I came to high adventure:

Steered my car out of the way when someone in a golf cart couldn’t figure out left from right and worse yet, didn’t know how to use the turn signal.

Carried my 10 pound Chihuahua-Dachshund home from his walk, screaming “Those were coyotes! Not doggies from Play Park!”

Made it home from doggie Play Park without having to hose off my shoes.

Grabbed a shovel and removed a large poisonous toad from my yard, only to have it return at night and jump into the garage. Then yelled for my husband to “do something about this!”

Tried a new restaurant only to see it listed on the “Health Inspection Violation List” in the paper the next day.

So you can probably understand why I’m always seeking out new venues for my time travelers. My sixth novel will take the “Light Riders,” Ryn and Aeden to Missouri. But it’s the when that should have readers frantically turning the pages if I’ve done it right. Meanwhile, it will give my editors something to do, so don’t expect to see it on bookshelves or online until late summer or early fall.
That leaves me adrift once again. And “Oh, The Places I’ll Go.”  My mind is already conjuring up continents, countries and cities in time. Thanks Dr. Seuss for understanding.

           

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!