Thursday, November 15, 2012

What's The Aroma For Your Writing?




As if I didn’t have enough to think about, someone recently asked me if I used any type of aroma while I write my novels. 

“Aroma? You mean something other than the kitty litter smell drifting down the hallway and into my computer room/guest bedroom/storage room?”

“Yes. Aromas. Like aromatherapy. I’ve heard it’s the latest thing among writers. And I’m sure famous authors have their own special blends.”

I knew I was out of the loop when it came to technology, but aromas? Honestly? When did this happen?  I was fascinated.

“You’re telling me that writers infuse their area with special aromas while they write?”

“Exactly. And depending upon what is going on in their novels, the aroma can be spicy, fragrant, soft, woodsy, you know…anything.”

“Actually, I really don’t. I mean, sure, there are lots of smells that drift into my computer room, like burnt toast or bacon frying, but nothing that’s done on purpose to create a mood.”

“Well, you should try it. I heard Romance novelists use lavender or vanilla when it comes to creating the dialogue. And other authors are burning clove or woodsy candles when they’re in the middle of writing a crime thriller.”

“Burning candles, huh? The cats and I would manage to burn the house down.”

“Then consider essential oils.”

“No problem. I’ve got olive, extra virgin olive and vegetable.”

“Don’t be funny. I mean fragrance diffusers gently wafting a scent that will energize you and make you sit up and take notice.”

“I already have that. It’s the dog. He sits under the desk and believe me, if some of those scents of his don’t energize or move me, then nothing will.” 

The person just looked at me and shook their head.

“You know, Ann, at this rate you’ll never get on the NY Times Bestseller List.”

 Maybe they were on to something. But frankly, I like working in my own comfortable setting, not a fragrance infused showroom. But then again, would it really hurt to remove the dog and spray some Glade?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!