Friday, June 29, 2012

Putting Protagonists in Peril

Let's face it. Authors get attached to their protagonists. Maybe it has something to do with the psyche, but I'm no expert. I just know that when it comes to putting them in tremendous peril, we flinch. Well, at least I do. But without those gut wrenching obstacles coming between the protagonist and his/her goal, the story would be awfully dull.

So, here I am forcing my "Light Riders" to face the worst kinds of scenarios in the depths of the Bastille, the night before July 14, 1789. And just as they seem to emerge from one horrific incident, the next is facing them dead- on. I hope I'm doing this right, because my heart keeps beating faster and faster as I write. And at times, I even break out into a sweat. (Of course I can always blame that on my surroundings. I live in Arizona and it's 113 degrees out there! ).

But I'm not alone. When I really have my characters face something truly heinous, I just mutter, "Blame Donis Casey." She's a mystery writer who knows how to get all of those elements of suspense in motion.

Sorry little "Light Riders," you're really in for it now! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!