Thursday, April 25, 2013

Watch Out - You Could Be My Next Protagonist








            I’ve taken my “Light Riders,” Ryn and Aeden through a gamut of harrowing adventures in time. Three novels to be exact. ( Two on the market and the third scheduled for release in late summer/early fall ). So…now it’s time to give them a rest for a while as I ponder my next venture. And that means one thing – I’ve got to create an entirely new protagonist with his/her own personality. Sounds easy, but trust me, it’s not.  I’m actually sweating over this one. And that’s where you come in.
            Don’t be alarmed, but I’m actually “people watching” in the hopes that someone’s style, attitude and approach to life will jump out at me and scream – here’s your next character! And granted, while all of my characters are fictional, they do reflect composites of real people, thus making them believable.
            I still haven’t decided if my protagonist will be male or female. Or will there be more than one as in the “Light Riders?” Then, I’ve got a long checklist to consider:
            Savvy
            Innocent
            Quirky
            Witty
            Clever
            Honest
            Daring
            Impulsive
            Clingy
            Self-assured
            Capable
            Fearless
            Reckless
            Responsible

            Yesterday, while waiting for my car to be repaired, I watched a woman point, stomp and pace around her vehicle. And each time she noticed something new, her movements got faster. Something to consider…
            Then there was the guy at the dog park who kept picking up his little dog and moving it away from other “undesirable” playmates who wanted to roll, chase and sniff. Another possibility but perhaps too “Monk – like.”
            And the list goes on. So…until I’ve settled on a character, or even a "spin-off" from "Light Riders,"  no one is safe. But don’t worry if you see me staring in your direction. The worst thing that can happen is that you’ll wind up in my next novel.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!