Saturday, September 8, 2012

Say, You Should Write a Novel About....






I don’t know if this happens to other authors, but whenever someone finds out that I am a writer, they inevitably have “the best story for me” to write. I hate disappointing people and certainly need all the fans I can muster, but some topics are just not for me. I write young adult mystery-suspense novels and continue to work tirelessly perfecting my craft. Yet, I’m barraged by ideas wherever I go.
When I first started writing, one of my neighbors insisted that I pen a novel about all of the people who live on our road. She was adamant. “Ann,” she said, “I know all the gossip and dirt on everyone. Who’s cheating on their wives, their taxes and their diets!”  YIKKEES! That’s the last thing I need – to write a novel that will fling a lawsuit in my face before I get my first royalty check.

Then there was the 80 something lady who met me at a book signing and proceeded to hoist a huge suitcase on my table. “Inside of this suitcase,” she said, “are all my diary entries since I was in 8th grade. I think you should read them and then write a book about me!”  I had a tough time explaining that I’m really not conversant with ghost writing or telling other peoples’ stories; but I did manage to give her a few other options.The list goes on.

“You should write about my cat, Muffles. He’s one of a kind.”  Well, I have cats, too, and the last thing I want to do is write about them. It’s bad enough I have to clean up after them. I swear, they toss up hairballs as if it’s an Olympic sport!

“I think the government is trying to poison us with the stuff that’s in our flu shots. You should write a novel about it." The stuff that’s in our flu shots? Heck. What about all the additives and preservatives in our food? Maybe I should write about that.

Then, there’s my personal favorite. Someone actually told me that I should write a cookbook. I gasped and almost hyperventilated. A cookbook? Have you ever tried my cooking? My husband is petrified if I even go near the kitchen! He knows. He watched me make spaghetti once and the sauce was a bottle of ketchup. (It was an old family recipe). 

So, readers and fans, please don’t be disappointed. There are great authors out there who will write about all of you topics. For me, well…I’m going to stick with time travel mysteries and adventures with the hopes that you’ll read them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!